Saturday, July 11, 2009

Why Cats Are Not Called Dogs

Do you know why?

Me? Don't know. (Some of my students might add "Don't care").

BM is definitely not BI either.

If we were born in England and we were to live with the native speakers of English, then it is simple mathematics why we too speak the language.

Sometimes I feel sick in my stomach when all the Mr Know All write to the editor's column about why the standard of English (in our country) has deteriorated over the years.

Are they saying that 50 years ago , if all Malaysians were to sit for the SPM English Language paper, the average grade would be better than what it is today?
Are they saying that the English words were pronounced more correctly by our forefathers?

The only succinct explanation of their claims is that - many, many years ago, the small group of people who received their education at the English schools could speak the language more confidently. (Ironically, at the same time, the majority of Malaysians , who were denied access to that sort of education, could hardly construct a proper sentence in English).

Think wisely, again, man!

Having said that, I have no statistical evidence to back my deductions.

I can only conclude by saying that I really appreciate the great efforts made by my students and fellow teachers to master the English Language.

Besides, every one can find fault, few can do better!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

English is definitely useful in career field. Passing, I think is a must for SPM. At the same time, PPMSI in English is also a good job, but what a short-sighted government.