Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Competency Test

What's the best method to test a teacher's competency?

Once I attended the PTK course at the Pearl International Hotel. I enjoyed every moment of it.

Of course......I was required to attend the lectures, take part in the public speaking , power point presentation, group work and makan-makan (this was the best thing I did there). The biggest hurdle was to type out a 25-page assignment which was to be submitted when I checked in at the hotel on the first day. The most bitter memory was having to go home after receiving a call from my husband that some people had broken into my house. Well, this happened in 2007, the year of thefts!!!!

A few days ago someone stole a precious item while I was praying at the surau (mmm, what a place to lose your favourite watch). However, my concern was on the person who stole it. She must be needing it so much, or she might have a psychological problem, or she was just an impulsive thief (is there such a term?).

While answering the PTK test, I couldn't help thinking about real-life situations in order to find the best answer. Many options seemed to be correct and I had to rely on my instinct!

Mr Teh was the candidate in front of me and both of us seemed to utilise every minute, flipping through the exam booklet, as though to scour it for the best answers. I met Mr N , a teacher on study leave, who seemed quite amused with the PTK exam. Mr Mgw was also there, but he was one of the invigilators, hence, after waving at him , I quickly put on a straight face, so that he would know that I was on my best behaviour, not trying to complicate his role in overseeing the exam.

The results would be disclosed in a few months time....I would hope to see a '4' this time, Amen!

No comments: