Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Test On Communication Skills


I have little choice but to get my students tested on their speaking ability, NOW, because soon they will be sitting for their mid-year examinations.

For the 5 MW students who love to prove their maturity in thinking, I let them do Forum. They are trying their best, I can see that!

The 3Y students who are also taking the Arabic Language for PMR have been asked to do Debate....You can guess how chaotic the debates turn out to be when someone forgets the rules. We are always laughing throughout the debates because it turns out to be really fun listening to the arguments which they are struggling to put forth.

Yesterday, I really looked forward to testing my students' speaking ability. However, immediately after the weekly assembly, the clerk called from the office (literally). "Cikgu, cikgu, there's a phone call for you". To my dismay, I found out that I was supposed to attend a meeting at Seksyen 6 Shah Alam.

I hesitated. Should I make up excuses? Unfortunately, I am not very skilful at doing that, hence I obliged myself to attend the meeting even though I had never driven to Shah Alam.

When I checked my car fuel, gosh, I needed to go to the petrol station. As soon as I had the tank filled up to the brim, my stomach sent out signals to go to the toilet immediately. Again, I rushed to my next destination which was my mother-in-law's house. When we met, she suggested I take my son along. Oh yes, good idea. So , along Hasif went with me to help me read the sign-boards.

We reached the place safely but I suggested Hasif to drive one round and come back to park the car outside the building.

I was panting, finding a chair to sit and to start a meaningful discussion at the meeting when suddenly Hasif gave me the most dreaded news of the day. "Mak, someone hit the rear of the car. She doesn't want to admit her mistake."

Oh yes, just imagine how I took the news. Even though the meeting was to proceed, I reluctantly left the meeting room to find out just what the @#*! was going on.

To my surprise, I had MY speaking , or rather communication skills , tested that day. I had to deal with the woman driver , and later her husband to come to an agreement of what to do next.

My final decision was to report the accident at the Shah Alam IPD in Seksyen 11. Here, you can guess that my driving skills were also tested. I waited for the other party to come and do the report too, but they didn't show up. So, in the end, there was no meeting for me with the Jabatan Pelajaran officers; no forums or debates....... only I had to apply my communication skills, in a manner least expected..........

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a dismal day. It was so unfortunate that I'm not there. First, I know Shah Alam well enough. Second, lady will never win argument on road. This is not prejudice, yet it is a fact. I know this as my dad never lose in Road Argument, ha3!

maheranhz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
maheranhz said...

lct, thanks for your concern. Until today this matter is not settled yet. But I always believe that justice will prevail, one day.