Saturday, November 29, 2008

Compare To versus Compare With

As my duty of late requires a great precision in my observation and assessing of students' work, quite often I need to refer to one of my best friends - which happens to be a book, or more specifically a DICTIONARY.

Of course, it has been used every day, but some things are still in the grey area. I am still in a quandary over certain matters involving pronunciation , spelling and usage.

Take for example, the expressions 'compare to' and 'compare with' , which are interpreted rather differently in different dictionaries, eg. the BBC versus LONGMAN.

Does it make me a bad teacher? No way! I shall continue my crusade for a life-long learning of nuances of the English Language and the pedagogical aspects of it.

By the way, my third meeting today was a success. The meeting was adjourned at 4pm as usual, but my journey home was interesting as I got 'lost' in an attempt to take another route. Nevertheless, I was accompanied by some old numbers from a collection of 'Classic Hindustani Songs' (just for a change).......The traffic was rather slow, forcing me to find an alternative route... see it for yourself (below). How does it compare to the usual traffic flow in Rawang? Hmm, food for thought!

No comments: