Monday, October 27, 2008

Grids or No Grids?


Enjoying the holiday while it lasts

As soon as I left my bed and my sejadah (praying mat), my mind was totally focused on completing last night's task. It was slightly after 6.30 in the morning.

Last night, while my family members were watching 'Harry Potter' and playing 'Monopoly', I was left on my own, at my desk, sorting out a few documents , planning my girls' study area (that was identifying the paper/books to be recycled) and wiping the cabinets and shelves.

At midnight, my daughter invited me to watch 'Midsomer Murder' as my hands were too weary to proceed with the cleaning up (during the day- folding clothes and then at night- my desk) , but I declined the invitation, knowing that a good night's sleep would allow me to resume my spring cleaning the next morning...

So, five hours of gruelling task proved to be fruitful when all my daughters (who must have felt pangs of guilt), also took part in this marathon of spring cleaning. By noon, the study area was transformed and I gladly changed course by preparing lunch.

What followed suit after that was attending an open house and shopping for a pair of basketball shoes for Mukhlis. Should I mention that we came home empty-handed? Yes, it wasn't easy finding a most 'cool' pair of shoes for him.

My next task was answering calls from students who wished to get clarification from me. That started at 8pm (Oh, yesterday was from morning to 11pm). My son too asked me about summary writing, whether to draw grids or not? (Yes, what a coincidence, I know). According to his friend, grids should not be the practice when answering the summary section, his friend was reminded by his tuition teacher and the tips in the newspaper.

My instinct told me that I had better ask my senior teacher who had marked SPM paper for many years. Her reply was simple, " The grids should benefit both parties, the candidate as well as the examiner. Hence, candidates are encouraged to draw the grids for the summary section."

May I add that the grids should be drawn in pencil, neatly and lightly , so as not to disrupt the overall neatness of the summary writing.

To the student who cares to ask me the same question raised by my son, thank you very much for doing so, I always respect your dogged determination. I guess now we know what has propelled me to change to a better person.................

No comments: