Friday, February 6, 2009

Stay Away From The Teaching Profession

Almost every body claims that they have been to school and they know what a school looks like. Then they start condemning the education system, plus the teachers.

Once I went to a bookshop in Kuala Lumpur to find a literature textbook for my son. Since nobody knew who I was, my movements were free, knowing fairly well that the cashier would not be a student of mine who could be doing a part-time job (shy only when I am purchasing some lingerie).

What I overheard was embarrassingly clear- what a mother said to her daughter about the daughter's teacher. What was she trying to do? The seeds of disrespect were implanted in the young girl in such a way that only a teacher could be sure that it was not true.

I was a few feet away from them in the crowded shop, hence I did not want to create a scene there....She was not talking to me and she was muttering other complaints (unrelated to school) in a rather inappropriate manner.

Having said that, teachers too must remember not to behave in a similarly despicable manner. Teachers must be friends with books (exercise books and other books) and teachers must remember to GUIDE the students. Teachers must also possess the wisdom in facts and in their judgment, instead of being judgmental. Otherwise, stay away from this noble profession....

No comments: