Sunday, February 8, 2009

Scalding Steamboats

I am not sure why it's called steamboat. Once I swore that I wouldn't have steamboat for dinner because I hated 'cooking' the food myself in the restaurant.

But, nevertheless we ordered steamboat besides the main dish- nasi goreng ayam, which none of us was able to finish - well, we shouldn't have let our eyes be bigger than our stomach(s).

Almost the whole day was spent in Kuala Lumpur, at the PWTC, enjoying the exhibition organised by the Ministry of Entrepreneur. My husband had to hold my hand firmly when we crossed the streets as I was and am not good at doing that. Too bad Hasif had to find his way by following us closely. It was the day the Hindus celebrated Thaipusam, but unexpectedly there wasn't any visible signs of a chaotic traffic jam near Batu Caves, or perhaps we had missed it either on our way to KL or after that when we came back.

Among the hundreds of people I met in the crowd today, I was greeted with "Hi, teacher" . The boy's father was there, smiling at me. Oh, yes, he was the one who came to school when I was doing my work at the school office in December. He was steaming hot at that time, asking to see my bosses but unfortunately, it was during school holidays , hence I had to think up an explanation which could soothe his anger. Luck was certainly on my side as he became more sober after that......

I think my role as a mother was closely intertwining with my duty as a teacher. That would be a good reason why I could understand his dissatisfaction with the school.

Well, back to the steamboat, it came as hot as ever; and I had to start cooking it, my vigilance helped ease my worries over the danger of my children scalding themselves with the hot water. Next time, strictly, no steamboats, please!

No comments: