Sunday, December 14, 2008

Believe in What You Have, Someone Might Need It


A new pencil case, perhaps?

Taking a break.
Mum is free tonight....the children are likely to "catch" that happy feeling.

I must admit that my routine of reading newspaper has been inevitably disrupted by my 'heavy' paperwork. Fortunately, my Saturday night was spent wisely at my table- yes, I did take a nap after coming back from the wedding but I became very focused after that- so, at my table, I sat for 6 long hours (with an hour break), completing my work.

It was until this morning, at 5am, I realised that I had had enough and I had to look fresh at Pn Merdiyanah's daughter's wedding reception, thus I went to bed gracefully and started dreaming in no time. I wish I could share my dream with you but now is not the time to do so, in fact, I am quite secretive......

I did get up for my Suboh prayers and then I resumed my dream until about 10.30 am.

A quick check on the Sunday Star showed news on the landslide at Bukit Antarabangsa. My attention was diverted to the Education section, though. I couldn't agree more with Nithya Sidhhu when she wrote about 'Season for cheer'. About what constitutes a good teacher. She talked about ... 'teachers who smile more, project sincere warmth, and are more accepting and tolerant'.

I may sound too predictable when I talk about education, teaching, about being a teacher and perhaps about raising children; but THAT is what I do, perhaps that is also what I can do best. I am not a youngster who is very high-tech, I can't do high jump anymore, I can't be highly energetic (especially after the operation), I can't sing, I can't dance, I can't accept any blatant rudeness, I can't, I can't....this list can be long if I want to talk about what I can't deliver to others at this age.

However, I have another list of what I can....do and what I can....offer.

On top of that, after years of being in this profession, I am also an experienced mother who can just hope that my children will be in good hands when they are in school. My plea to all teachers : children may spend only 11 years in both primary and secondary schools, but in these two places, we, teachers groom the children to become good citizens ....and so our warm, friendly demeanour is highly expected by the children, at least when they are facing hardships; to help boost their self-esteem.

I may be an old teacher but I was once a student too , and I could recall what my expectations were of my teachers.

On a lighter note, tonight, after completing round one of my paperwork, my husband and I took all the children to Parkson Ria to get some stationery for the new school year... (Hasif was there with us even though he would still enjoy his break until he gets a place at a college or university).

That is what I can offer as a mother.

No comments: