Tuesday, August 12, 2008

"Is this the little girl I carried? Is this the little boy I played with?"


'A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.'

These are the words of wisdom which you can find written on the white board when you are eating in the canteen ( in the teachers' dining area, that is).

I don't object to it, since I am the person who is always expected to scribble something on the white board. Psst..if you have any idea, please share it with me. I might consider it, serious!

When my second boy mentioned about going to a boarding school before sitting for his UPSR, I didn't wish to object, fearing that it might cause an adverse effect on his performance. Alas, the offer letter to the boarding school came in early December 2004. By then, I knew without doubt that I had to let him go.

He took it in his stride , whereas mum had mixed feelings which could only be consoled by the fact that communication was quite easy (the school is not far from our town, actually). Furthermore, handsets were and are still secretly allowed. Obviously, it is an open secret which every Tom, Dick and Harry in the school knows. On the other hand, the impact of thefts or losses is supposed to be born by the owner of the handset. Well, I guess it is fair enough since the onus is always on the owner to take good care of their belongings.

The last sentence above holds true in other schools too. Remarks like "Why are you so careless?!" are the norm when you lose something.

OK back to the words of wisdom, now I might 'lose' more children because I have a daughter who is leaving primary school ; not to mention a son who is leaving school after SPM. He has already shown me an advertisement to further studies in Australia!

The moment of truth will come one day when I might live long enough to experience the empty-nest-syndrome. I can't imagine it yet.

No comments: