Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Being Taken For Granted?

Oh! What a wonderful world I live in. I know there is starvation and there is war, and there is natural disaster too; but there is so much oxygen for us to share. There is also an abundant supply of solar energy that has been consumed by us for years and years (indefinite time).

Wednesday, I am back to work.

It was 10.10 am, I was in the hall, invigilating the SPM Trial Exams (Modern Math). First, I was with my 5KJ students and after forty minutes, I went to the back of the hall, to keep an eye on the 5SI students (a relief duty).

The students were restless, the Math paper was just a valueless set of booklet which bore no significance at all to them. A teacher reported to me about how some of the students from that class (and from 5SJ) were being rude by ignoring her instructions to 'shut up'. I nodded (to mean 'Yeah, I got it!').

And there off I went to the battle ground.....The students could sense my determination and almost immediately only a pin drop could be heard in the back of the hall. Yes! Job done! The students seemed sleepy suddenly and one by one, they were 'shot' to the dream world. I remained standing near them, in case a riot would spark out of boredom.

In my case, I was actually enjoying the sound of music, of pens dancing (some did waltz,some did breakdance) on the paper; of the squeking noise made by the students' chairs ; and of the sound produced by the snips made by the gardener to trim the hedges. The little birds were chirping and the sun was glowing fiercely; and the wind was blowing my tudung gently. It felt like spring!

A few hours later, when I was at home, the sights and sounds during the invigilation duty took my mind off my ailing body. Oops! That's too much! No, my body was only slightly weak and it was getting better.

After breaking fast, I checked on Hasif, who had smsed me to wake him up at 9.50pm. My little princesses (Sarah and Zainab) cajoled me into going out just for a ride (but of course, must drop by at Pasar Mini Malek to buy something).

Later, Mukhlis (who had to come back from the hostel-owing to his chicken-pox) asked me about any food that he should avoid as his friends warned him to abstain from eating certain food. I was ironing my batek at that time (it's Batek Day tomorrow) but I carefully listed down the 'forbidden food' - it may upset him but he had to be forewarned.

I also had to remind Naimah to study as she was over the moon (already) because tomorrow would be her last day of exams- Penilaian Sekolah Rendah Agama. Last but not least, Aisyah asked me to guide her in making a bar chart using the Ms Excel. Gosh! Quite a long list of things to do in one night.

I think if you do wish to give an undivided love and attention to all your children, make sure you keep the number of children to one that is within your capability ; in terms of your strength and endurance.

But in my case, it's not only my 6 children I care about. I also have my students in my mind.

Just hope that I'm not taken for granted!

No comments: