Friday, September 19, 2008

Why Do You Remember My Name?

I was the form teacher of 5 Science 2 (SM Dato' Haji Talib Karim, Melaka) in 1991. This photo has no connection with this story. (Then why is it here?)

In 1992, I came to Rawang to be with my husband after spending a year as a weekend wife.

One day, as I was assigned to do relief duty in a form 5 class, I headed to the class with very little idea of what was bestowed on me. I hardly knew the students of this class, neither was I fit enough to control them. You see, I was new to the school (it's not SEMEKAR) and I was carrying my second child, with morning sickness still haunting me.

Unfortunately, the principal was doing his rounds and he was not pleased to see a few boys standing outside the class. I just reached this bl##*! class when I saw my big boss furiously scrutinizing the class, as though by doing that the class could be silenced forever.

This big boss hardly knew me and he seemed unsure who to blame, .....Gosh! I became his easy target!

"Teacher, where did the boys come from?"

"I'm sorry, I have no idea..I just reached this class"

He just shook his head and left me, who was dumbfounded, looking like a stray sheep. It was the first time, and in fact,
the only time I had to deal with such a situation!

I turned to the class, (my blood was boiling inside), and the students were extremely quiet.

Suddenly, a boy got up and went to his friend's place, presumably to ask him about something.

But, oh oh, too bad, this teacher had turned into a tigress. In no time, she was already beside him and mercilessly she gave him a light tap on his face. It certainly didn't hurt him physically, but his pride, yes.....The boy was startled, he turned red and immediately he went back to his place.

My anger turned into pity, as I had acted foolishly, and emotionally......

As a new teacher, I secretly swore to myself that I should learn about the culture of the students in this school and I must learn to take control of such situations. I also secretly learnt the name of my victim just now...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fast forward in 2007, sixteen years later ; .......

a supplier came to SEMEKAR and when I met him on his way to the office, (without hesitation) I called him by his name. He must be puzzled but he remained composed. After a brief conversation, smilingly he asked me,

"Teacher, what made you remember my name?"

No comments: