Monday, September 15, 2008

I Am Good, Mr N!

When I was in form 5, my form teacher (who was also my Physics teacher) asked us to disclose our little secret that was our ambition. I still remember that it took place in the Physics lab.

When my turn came, I was not really prepared but I thought why not I just mentioned something safe, that was I wanted to become a teacher. Wow! The effect was immediate! A resounding sound of laughter could be heard in the lab, even that teacher gave a cynical smile....he must have thought that I was teasing him. No, Mr N, in fact I had always been a level-headed person .... but it's too late to tell you now...

My class was full of intelligent girls who were very ambitious. Now many of them are professionals but they are humble and they keep a low profile. A few end up being teachers owing to the economic downturn in the late 1980's. But the only reason why I didn't choose teaching as a profession before was because my father (who was a teacher) really discouraged me from being one.

My answer to my form teacher was basically meaningless but now I AM a teacher.

It is a very satisfying profession if you don't mind dealing with cranky students and their unpredictable parents.

Many people thought they knew school inside and out just because they have been there....

No, actually you may have spent 5 years in a secondary school but you don't know much about education which takes place in a school.

As a reflective teacher, I have a number of things to suggest to the Ministry of Education (shall write about this next time). But for now, I just want to tell myself to pick up the new teaching skills which are essential in this era.

Certain clerical work must be reconsidered . Take for example, I started typing the minutes of the meeting at about 4.00 pm and finally now, at 10.30 pm I am able to say that my task is complete! Please use simple Maths to calculate the time spent
solely on this work, albeit my breaking fast and prayers,and 5 minutes of sms-ing; from 4.00 pm to 10.30 pm.

Fortunately, every one in my family is immune to my routine......No wonder only my youngest daughter thinks that teaching is cool!

No comments: