Saturday, September 27, 2008

Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Somewhere over the rainbow,
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of once in the lullaby...

That's part of a song that I learnt in my secondary school, a premier school called Tunku Kurshiah College in Seremban.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure of the lyrics, but I am sure about one thing, that is the Music lessons with Mrs Ho were never boring. She could understand what songs we needed
to sing. If it was the last couple of weeks before the school holidays, she would surely play 'Home Sweet Home' and I would be among the girls who would sing our hearts out at the tune of this poignant song....Well, I was always homesick then, sob sob.

TKC, how I was always in a love-hate relationship with you!

Yesterday, in the Star (Friday, 26 Sept), I came across the latest development in our country's secondary education system which was on page N3.

"Students of Malay College Kuala Kangsar and Tunku Kurshiah College may soon choose if they want to sit for the International Baccalaureate (IB) or the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia......Ed.Min.,DS Hishammuddin Tun Hussein announced that both schools would be offering the IB from 2011...."

Wah, what can I say about my alma mater? I guess I am quite proud to be a student of TKC, once...

When I went to photostat a document at the Batu 16 Xerox shop, I bumped into my TKC super senior who now runs her own business. She has a son in 4 Anggerik. While waiting for my turn, I had the pleasure to listen to her reminiscing about her life in TKC, where Datin Rosmah and Dato' Shahrizat were her seniors...it seemed that all that happened about 40 years ago could be narrated in such a manner that one might think it happened just yesterday....

I could understand her story well because I was there for 5 years and I played quite an active role there. I was not a bully and I also learnt to put up with the hardships, if that is what it should be called....

But Mrs Ho is certainly an important person in a chapter of my life. Her songs were soothing to my ears and they were sung melodiously by us , the sweet girls of TKC......

Somewhere over the rainbow,
Blue birds fly,
Blue birds fly high,
Oh why can't I?